Friday 5 December 2008

Scarred student needs 17 stitches after Octagon fancy dress balll turns ugly

A second year Biology student has been left with a lifelong scar on her forehead after an argument turned into an assault at a fancy dress ball.

Emma Wall needed 17 stitches after she smashed her head open outside the Octagon when a row over a spilled drink got out of control.

The 22-year-old was at the biology ball with her boyfriend Dave Whiteside when the trouble started.

Another woman collided with her and began complaining Wall had spilled a drink on her. When another man joined in the couple walked away, but Dave was pushed from behind.

Wall, who lives in Crookes, does not know whether her boyfriend fell into her or she was pushed too, but she fell face-first on the floor, splitting her head open and needing hospital treatment.

"We were walking from one side of the dance floor to the other and a girl nudged into me and spilled a drink, but there were so many people in there, I didn’t think anything of it. You expect it when places are so busy," she said.

"The next thing I knew I saw my boyfriend talking to a man with the girl, and I found out later he had been having a go at my boyfriend about the spilled drink.

"We started walking away and then this man punched my boyfriend in the side of his head and pushed him from behind and I ended up on the floor with blood pouring from my head."

She has been left with a Y-shaped scar that will stay with her for the rest of her life.

Union President Dave Hurst said: "The Union prides itself on its safe drinking and environment policies.

"It is horrible when instances such as this occur, and we wish her a speedy recovery.

"Any instances such as this are totally unacceptable and anyone found guilty of causing violence to other students or staff will face bans and be referred to the University’s disciplinary procedure.

"This behaviour is not representative of our students, and our staff try and act in the best interest of all members to prevent instances such as this."

The couple are urging witnesses to come forward and have designed posters to put up around the Union to help their appeal.

The posters show what Wall looked like before and after the incident to show the result of her night out.

Wall added: "I can’t believe people would behave this way and not accept responsibility for it, but we are going to look through CCTV footage from the night to try to identify them.

"I see the scar every day, I can’t miss it".

Hurst said: "We can’t believe all this over a spilled drink. Emma is left with this scar to remind her of that night every time she looks in the mirror. I am totally gutted."





Victoria Haley

No comments: