Friday 5 December 2008

Strobe-lit bungee jump for charity

A student from the University of Sheffield has bungee jumped in the dark from a 150ft platform at the Magna Centre in Rotherham to raise money for charity.

Jack Wolfe, a first year Geography student, bungee jumped at the highest indoor venue of its kind in the UK to raise money for charities in Sheffield last Saturday.

The fundraising event was organised by the Raising and Giving (RAG) Students’ Union organisation and cost £49. RAG is renowned for organising extreme events at reasonable prices to raise as much money as possible for charity.

Wolfe, 18, said: "It’s something I’ve always wanted to do and I got to raise money for local charities too. The opportunity was too good to pass up on.

"I did it by myself as I think a lot of my friends thought it might be a little scary. I hadn’t done anything like it before so I would be lying if I said I didn’t have butterflies in my stomach on the way there."

Wolfe hopes to raise nearly £100 for 40 charities in total.

He added: "It was a real rush. The nerves were building as I was climbing the stairs to the platform and hovering over the edge moments before was hugely nerve wracking.

"Once I jumped off the platform the feeling of the adrenaline pumping through my body was amazing. Definitely a worthwhile experience."

Wolfe was also part of breaking the world record for the most people dressing as Santa and going down a zip-wire in an hour. He said that he would recommend the experience to anyone and would definitely do it again.

"Nobody backed out which was good; there were a few nervous faces but everyone went for it. It was a really good atmosphere as everyone cheered each other on and gave them lots of support."

Wolfe has taken part in many RAG fundraising events, including a bar crawl during Freshers’ Week and the recent 26-mile Spiderwalk. He said: "I’ve met lots of really nice people and I have always really enjoyed myself."






Leanne Rinne

No comments: